Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen undefeated on home waters
– hot and sunny with light winds on first day of Danish Open Ladies Cup
It’s not surprising to see a home sailor on top of the scoreboard after the first day of racing in the Danish Open Ladies Cup. But maybe you’d have expected it to be the World Championship silver medallist and ISAF world ranking number one, Camilla Ulrikkeholm. Instead it was her fellow club member of the Royal Danish Yacht Club, Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen, who stepped forward and stole the show, lining up six victories and no losses at all:
– Well, we had a really good day, enjoying being back in match racing again, says Lotte, who has only done a regatta in the US Virgin Islands since participating in the 2012 London Olympics.
The waters of Skovshoved, situated in Öresund between Denmark and Sweden, offered hot and sunny weather with very light and puffy winds and also some major wind shifts, when the racing began Thursday. Danish Open Ladies Cup is the third event on the inaugural 2013 Women’s International Match Racing Series, but the first with Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen participating. Handling the main sheet in her boat is fellow Danish Olympian, 470-skipper Henriette Koch, appreciating her first time match racing:
– It was great fun, but very different than many other types of sailing I’ve done, Koch comments with a big smile.
Lucy Macgregor of Great Britain won the first WIMR Series event in France earlier this year, and has come to Denmark to defend her top position on the Series’ ranking. In her match against Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen she however suffered from an unexpected 30 degree wind shift, letting the Danish skipper stretch her lead all the way through the finish line:
– It was so light winds, we were just drifting around, Macgregor sighs, explaining that she has never sailed in Skovshoved before.
– But normally I like tricky conditions, when you have to chase the pressure, she adds, happy for the four straight victories to come after the first defeat.
– It wasn’t easy but it was good to win four matches, says Macgregor, runner-up on the scoreboard after day 1 of the Danish event.
Also on four victories, but with two losses, is Dutch skipper Klaartje Zuiderbaan, who enjoyed racing in the light winds:
– I have a new crew for this regatta, and it’s always easier for them to adapt when the loads on things are not as heavy, she explains.
Standings after the first day of round-robin 1 in
the Danish Open 2013 Ladies Cup, the third event on the 2013 Women’s International Match Racing Series (skipper/nationality/wins/losses):
1. Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen, DEN, 6 – 0
2. Lucy Macgregor, GBR, 4 – 1
3. Anna Kjellgren, SWE, 3 – 1
4. Klaartje Zuiderbaan, NED, 4 – 2
5. Anna Kjellberg, SWE, 2 – 2
6. Merel Witteveen, NED, 2 – 3
7. Stephanie Roble, USA, 1 – 4
7. Camilla Ulrikkeholm, DEN, 1 – 4
9. Anne Marit Hansen, NOR, 0 – 6
Standings in the 2013 Women’s International Match Racing Series after two events, in France and in Korea (skipper/nationality/WIMRS points):
1. Tamara Echegoyen, ESP, 25
1. Lucy Macgregor, GBR, 25
1. Anna Kjellberg, SWE, 25
4. Camilla Ulrikkeholm, DEN, 22
4. Julie Bossard, FRA, 22
6. Stephanie Roble, USA, 20
7. Katie Spithill, AUS, 19
8. Alexa Bezel, SUI, 17
8. Claudia Pierce, NZL, 17
9. Klaartje Zuiderbaan, NED, 16
11. Ekaterina Skudina, RUS, 15
12. Caroline Sylvan, SWE, 14
13. Susannah Pyatt, NZL, 9
14. Milly Bennett, AUS, 8
15. Sung-Eun Choi, KOR, 4
15. Morgane Dréau, FRA, 4
The inaugural 2013 Women’s International Match Racing Series is a professional sailing circuit, hosted by the Women’s International Match Racing Association for the world’s leading women match racing sailors. In match racing the crews meet two by two in exciting duels that can easily be followed and understood by the spectators.
An overall prize purse of 50 000 USD will be distributed by the WIMRSeries at the final event in Lysekil, Sweden, in addition to the prize money at each of the five events included in the WIMRSeries (date, event name, location, boat type):
* May 15-19 – Saint Quay Women’s Match Racing – St Quay-Portrieux, France – Elliott 6m.
* June 5-9 – Busan Cup International Women’s Match Race – Busan, Korea – K 30.
* June 20-23 – Danish Open Ladies Cup – Copenhagen, Denmark – J/80.
* July 11-14 – New York Women’s Invitational – Oakcliff, New York, USA – SM 40.
* August 5-10 – Lysekil Women’s Match – Lysekil, Sweden – DS 37.